daou99 asked: Hi HK, just wanted you about mudras for getting rid of addictions(smoking, masturbation), falling asleep and overall balancing of energies in body. Also wanted to understand if mudras can be done in any order?? And thanks for wonderful information you share with us & help us live a better life :)
Kalesvara mudra can help in getting rid of addictions and balancing energy. This mudra can be practiced by sitting in meditative pose; tongue touching the roof of the mouth and with an affirmation of the desired state. Further, the person should have appreciation and understanding of his lifestyle. There should never be any complex of guilt and negativity. Respect for oneself is necessary even if bad habits like smoking, masturbation is dominant. Nothing is permanent. With a little effort the habits fall off and addictions vanish. Another easy method of removing addictions is to direct energy to higher centers. For example, a person having an urge to masturbate can simply touch his tongue on roof of the mouth; can jog on the spot or do some bouts with punching bag. A smoker can reduce smoking by sprinkling cold water on his face or chewing a piece of cardamom. It is up to the person for choosing the method for redirecting the energy.
You have asked about order in which mudras have to be performed. Yes, there is order and sequence for certain mudras. For example, Prana mudra is performed to strengthen the effect of Vayu mudra and likewise there are several combinations.
Thanks for appreciating and reading the blog
"Whatever comes, let it come; whatever goes, let it go. Let notions of diverse experiences either arise or set in the body: I am neither in them nor they in me."
"Appropriation is precisely the secret of conversation."
"The Lord is neither far nor inaccessible. One’s own illuminated self is the Lord."
— Sage Vashistha
aila3 asked: Hi there, I don't practice Yoga yet but am looking into it. I have suffered from depression for some time now, I lost my only best friend 3 years ago, she was murdered. I feel lost in what I want to do with my life, I have lost all sense of direction. Can you help??
Depression is a result of emotional turmoil. Emotions play a significant role in molding our personality. Fear is the dominant emotion throughout our life. It begins with the weep during birth and accentuates with various negative events in life. In your case, the death of your beloved friend has imprinted uncontrollable negative trait in you. However, life changes with effort and contemplation. There are few things that you have to eradicate from your life. Subtracting these will help in making you strong and coming out of negative spiral.
- Understand your limitations and accept them. Sad events like the one you mentioned has to be accepted as pre-determined by destiny. Accept it and move on. Employ your limited energy in enjoying the cup of coffee, or listening to birds, or playing with children in park. Anything that makes your going.
- We always seek sympathy for our depressed condition. It confirms our state of misery and weakens us further. Make sure, not to mention your trouble to anybody. Be independent and indulge in happy talk with others. Discuss the latest movies or some adventure you have come across. Happy talk attracts happy events.
- Everybody who is born will surely die. The intensity of despair is what you are experiencing. The streak of anger you have for yourself or for god manifests as depression. You have to overcome this inner anger by nurturing life. A simple step you can take is by feeding the lower beings. You can feed birds, squirrels, ants, fishes, dogs or any animal. Take care of some plants by watering them. This will make you peaceful and contended.
- Remove any guilt associated with you or others from your being. Everything happened in the past. Do activities that elevate your image about yourself. You can play tennis; do hiking, swimming, cooking or some community service in a temple or church.
And I bet that Yoga will cure the condition. Start the practice right away. Shatkarmas, Asanas and Pranayama will alleviate your condition.
Start taking 6 pellets of Natrum Muriaticum 6x three times a day. You can find it at any Homeopathic Pharmacy. This will help you in overcoming most of your symptoms. Wish you rapid and happy recovery!
"The supreme truth is established only in total silence, not by logic, discussion and argumentation."
— Sage Vashistha
"If one practices kumbhaka (suspension of breath) after exhaling the prana to a distance farther from where the apana rises (the twelve finger-breadth distance), he is not subject to sorrow any more."
According to Ayurveda, the Kapha accumulated in the body turns hostile in this season and brings about suffering in form of seasonal allergies, cough, cold, ear infections, headache, inflammation, sore throat and variety of inflamed skin conditions. There is aggravation of diabetes during this season.
Here are some simple measures that will keep you fit and healthy during Spring season
- Reduce salt or take a diet without salt. This will help in preventing inflammation of mucous passages.
- This is the best period to start exercise regimen. Wake up before sunrise and begin with brisk walk, followed by running and vigorous workout. Yoga Asanas and Pranayama are highly beneficial during this season. Exercise facilitates elimination of toxins and hostile cough.
- Eliminate potato, peanuts, yogurt, fried snacks, confectionary, sesame, ice cream, cream milk and heavy meats from your diet.
- Take small and light meals. Ginger, Honey, Cinnamon; and astringent fruits like Pomegranate and Grapes are beneficial during this season
- Sleeping during the day increases Kapha in this season. It is better to wake up early and go to sleep by late evening.
Spring is termed as season of flowers, fragrance and lovemaking. Enjoy it with good health.
It is surprising to see that the productivity in office remains at pitch low levels. We do not need data to substantiate this as we know the truth from inside. We deal with noise throughout the day. 95% of talk, discussions, meetings and emails (whether official or unofficial) are just pure noise. Somehow, we have lost the discretion of identifying the relevant. It is time to understand and eliminate the noise and be productive.