Food is essential for our well being. A nutritious and wholesome meal provides us with energy and essential elements. Our digestive enzymes have an appropriate bio-chemical structure to digest specific elements of the food. There are different enzymes in saliva, stomach and small intestine that are specific to digestion of carbohydrates, proteins, starch and fat.
Our digestive enzymes work perfectly until we take food combinations that form toxins. Some of these toxins can cause immediate reactions like allergy, rashes, nausea, congestion etc. And there are toxins that get accumulated and cause damage to respiratory, excretory and circulatory system in long run.
It is necessary to know the toxic combinations to keep yourself healthy. To illustrate with an example, highly concentrated carbohydrates should never be taken with highly concentrated proteins. The high sugar amount delays the secretion of enzyme that digests proteins. The entire digestive activity gets sluggish and depressed. A perfect combo that can come to anybody’s mind is Hamburger with French fries and Cola.
Here is the list of toxic combinations that I have compiled from texts on Ayurveda and internet for all of you. Next time check what combination you are eating and recall the text you are reading here.
High Protein + High Carbohydrate = Not Compatible
Sugar + Starch = Not Compatible
Protein 1 + Protein 2 = Not Compatible (Example, Milk + Meat, Egg + Chicken, Chicken + Ham)
Fats + Proteins = Not Compatible (Gastric activity reduces by 50%)
Acid Fruits + Proteins = Not Compatible (Example, Orange Juice with Eggs)
Here is the reference for some common foods.
- Milk – incompatible with banana (think before you drink that banana shake), meat, fish, curd, citrus fruits, bread and melons. Milk is best when taken without additives and flavors.
- Starch (Sweet Potato, Potato, Buns, Rice) – Eggs, tea, milk, banana, dates and sugar foods (jams, sugar, fruits, honey, whole wheat)
- Melons – to be eaten alone. Never combine them with any other meal.
- Eggs – incompatible with milk, meat, yogurt, cheese, fish, bananas
- Lemon - incompatible with Milk, cucumber, tomatoes
- Honey –uncooked honey is nectar. It is a poison if it is cooked. A common menu item like Honey Chilli Potato or Honey Chilli Fish can actually cause more harm than benefit.